So now as SQL Server 2016 is released (on 1-June-2016) and is in market for few days, so Microsoft team has released a new Sample Database “WideWorldImporters” specially for learning and working with new features of SQL Server 2016 and Azure SQL Database.
Till now AdventureWorks was quiet popular Sample Database since SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2014, and still will be. And prior to this we had Northwind and Pubs sample databases to work with SQL Server 2000 version.
You can download both the OLTP and OLAP (DW/BI) databases from this GitHub link.
1. WideWorldImporters (OLTP): contains sample tables for OnLine Transaction Processing (OLTP) workloads, as well as Real-time Operation Analytics.
2. WideWorldImportersDW (OLAP, DW/BI): contains sample tables for OnLine Analytical Processing (OLAP) workloads, in Dimensional Model, like Fact and Dimension tables.
3. For Azure SQL Database: you can download the bacpac for both the editions OLTP/OLAP.
–> These Sample Databases are designed in such a way that these can be used to check and evaluate the new Features of SQL Server 2016, like:
1. Temporal Database and Tables
2. Native JSON support
3. ColumnStore Index
4. In-Memory OLTP
5. Row Level Security, Dynamic Data Masking and Always Encrypted
7. Query Store
–> The MSDN Documentation of these sample databases provides you more information on:
1. Installation and Configuration
2. The Database Catalog
3. Use of SQL Server features and capabilities (mentioned in above points)
4. Some Sample Queries (zip file)
–> After Downloading and Restoring the sample tables looks like this in Object Explorer:
Microsoft Azure is an Open and Flexible cloud platform that enables you to quickly Build, Deploy and Manage applications across a global network of Microsoft-managed Data-Centers. You can build applications using any language, tool or framework. And you can Integrate your public cloud applications with your existing IT environment.
–> Microsoft AZURE provides you:
1. Always up. Always on: Delivers a 99.95% monthly SLA and enables you to build and run highly available applications without focusing on the infrastructure.
2. Open: Enables you to use any language, framework, or tool to build applications. Features and services are exposed using open REST protocols.
3. Unlimited servers. Unlimited storage: Enables you to easily scale your applications to any size. It is a fully automated self-service platform that allows you to provision resources within minutes. Elastically grow or shrink your resource usage based on your needs.
4. Powerful Capabilities: Delivers a flexible cloud platform that can satisfy any application need. It enables you to reliably host and scale out your application code within compute roles.
–> Solutions Microsoft AZURE provides:
1. Virtual Machines: On-demand infrastructure that scales and adapts to your changing business needs.
2. Web: Secure and flexible development, deployment, and scaling options for any sized Web application.
3. Mobile: Fast and easy to build mobile apps that scale. Within minutes, you can store data in the cloud, authenticate users, and push notifications to millions of devices.
4. Dev & Test: Develop and test applications faster, at reduced cost, and with the flexibility to deploy in the cloud or on-premises.
5. Big Data: Reveal new insights and drive better decision making with Azure HDInsight, a Big Data solution powered by Apache Hadoop. Surface those insights from all types of data to business users through Microsoft Excel.
6. Media: Azure Media Services allows you to build scalable, cost effective, end-to-end media distribution solutions that can stream media to Adobe Flash, Android, iOS, Windows, and other devices and platforms.
7. Storage, Backup & Recovery: Scalable, durable cloud storage, backup, and recovery solutions for any data. It works with the infrastructure you already have to cost-effectively enhance your business continuity strategy and provide storage required by your cloud applications.
8. Identity & Access Management: Azure Active Directory delivers an enterprise ready cloud identity service enabling a single sign-on experience across cloud and on-premises applications. It allows multi-factor authentication for added security and compliance.
–> Current AZURE footprint:
–> For more information please visit Microsoft AZURE:
– Official Site: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/
– Official Blog: http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/