Microsoft released SQL Server vNext (2018) – New features and enhancements in CTP 1.x
On 16th Nov 2016 Microsoft announced the first Community Test Preview (CTP 1.0) of SQL Server vNext that will run both on Windows & Linux. Not only Linux, but it will be supported on Docker, and macOS (via Docker) too.
For now I’m calling the vNext version as SQL Server 2018. (2018 is not called officially, I’m calling it just to avoid any confusion 🙂 )
This announcement was along with the release of SQL Server 2016 SP1, and the vNext version also supports features added in SQL Server 2016 SP1.
–> Download vNext bits:
To download the SQL Server vNext you can Register and Download the Full version or Free evaluation version (180 days).
Or, directly download the ISO (~2 GB): SQLServerVnextCTP1-x64-ENU.iso
–> Check version and SQL build:
Microsoft SQL Server vNext (CTP1) – 126.96.36.199 (X64)
Nov 1 2016 23:24:39
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows 10 Enterprise 6.3 (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor)
–> New Features & Enhancements:
>> Database Engine:
1. All new features in SQL Server 2016 SP1.
2. New compatibility level 140.
3. Improvements to the way incremental statistics update thresholds are computed.
4. New DMVs added:
– sys.dm_exec_query_statistics_xml added, to get query execution plan for in-flight requests.
– sys.dm_os_host_info, to provide operating system information for both Windows and Linux.
5. Enhancements to In-Memory Tables & SPs:
– Can now use sp_spaceused, sp_rename, CASE, TOP (N) WITH TIES
– More than 8 indexes
6. Clustered Columnstore Indexes now support LOB columns (nvarchar(max), varchar(max), varbinary(max)).
7. New STRING_AGG() aggregate function has been added.
8. Database roles are created with R Services for managing permissions associated with packages.
9. New Japanese collations are added.
– Features added in CTP 1.1
10. Memory-optimized tables and indexes now support computed columns.
– and Natively compiled modules now support the CROSS APPLY operator, and all JSON functions.
12. New string functions CONCAT_WS, TRANSLATE, and TRIM are added.
– and the WITHIN GROUP clause is now supported for the STRING_AGG function.
– Features added in CTP 1.2
13. Support for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server v12 SP2
14. SQL Server Early Adoption Program (EAP), msdn blog on EAP
>> SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS):
1. 1400 Compatibility level for tabular models.
2. Modern Get Data query and import data features for tabular models.
3. Support for ragged hierarchies with the new Hide Members property.
4. Support for drillthrough by using Detail Rows. This includes the Default Detail Rows expression property and DETAILROWS DAX function.
5. Table-level security, restricts user permissions on table data and table names.
6. New DAX IN function.
>> SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS):
– Support Scale Out of SSIS: to run SSIS on multiple machines. With Scale Out Master and Workers, packages can be distributed to execute on different Workers automatically. Check more details here in MSDN.
>> SQL Server R support: Check full details here in MSDN.