Advertisements
Home > SQL Errors > SSMS error – The Visual Studio component cache is out of date. Please restart Visual Studio.

Yesterday while opening SSMS I got an error message popup which mentions:

The Visual Studio component cache is out of date. Please restart Visual Studio.

On checking in internet I found a similar issue logged in MS Connect, and the workaround was to cleanup the application folder in the Windows-Temp folder, which is located at following folder location:

C:\Users\your_user_name_here\AppData\Local\Temp\

Here is the shortcut to go to the TEMP folder:

This issue vanished after deleting the SSMS folder. This could be due to the Visual Studio component cache can’t be written or can’t be wiped while in use.

Advertisements
Categories: SQL Errors
  1. mani
    July 13, 2018 at 3:28 pm

after restarting the SQL Services it worked in my case instead removing temp files

2. IT pro1
    June 16, 2018 at 3:26 am

I saw this error when trying to start ssms after the server was rebooted, so it asked if I wanted to recover my files, to which I said yes, then saw the error. By closing the SSMS, then reopening and not trying to recover my files, I didn’t receive the error.

3. Saurabh Raoot
    May 31, 2018 at 12:39 pm

delete everything from

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\

4. Gauravdeep Singh
    May 18, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for the help. It worked for SSMS 2017 for me

5. pranavanmaru
    March 29, 2018 at 5:06 am

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\
    would be a better structured path to the directory

6. ranjit
    January 29, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Just closing and opening SSMS did the job for me!

7. Sridhar
    November 16, 2017 at 10:01 am

8. John Ash
    November 15, 2017 at 7:27 pm

confirmed, deleting the SSMS folder in Temp corrected the problem.

9. Ives
    September 28, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Thank you! It worked for me. BTW quitting SSMS completely did not resolve the issue in my case.

10. August 18, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Thank you. Just to point out, you can also resolve this issue by completely exiting out of SSMS, making sure that all instances of SSMS are killed and reopening it and trying to query again. SSMS does automatically purge the temp data folder (at least the version I run).

• August 18, 2017 at 6:21 pm

I tried that, even restarted my PC, I think I was using SSMS 2016.

1. No trackbacks yet.