Passed 70-461 Exam : Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012
Yesterday (Nov 15th 2012) I went through this exam and passed it. From long back I was looking an opportunity to give at least a single SQL Server Certification Exam to check my worth.
Just a week back I scheduled a slot for this Exam (for yesterday). I was looking for some reading material for the same but I couldn’t get any. Though there is a book from Microsoft Press i.e. “Training Kit (Exam 70-461): Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012“, but it was not available at my nearest.
As I maintain this blog on SQL Server and also evangelize on SQL Server 2012 latest features from long back, so I thought to give it a try and wow I went thru in a single shot!!!
Here by this post I want to provide my readers some information and knowledge about this Exam, so that they can plan well for this and look forward to take up this exam.
–> Exam Highlights:
– There were total 54 Questions
– Total time to attempt the paper was 3 Hrs.
– Total Marks: 1000
– Passing Marks: 700
– The Questions in the Exam were:
1. Mostly Objective Type.
2. Some were Subjective: where you’ve to write code, like SELECT statement and/or View Definition, etc.
3. And very few were Multiple Choice.
4. A few Question were where you’ve to pick up the appropriate code snippet and arrange them in correct sequence.
–> The Exam is divided into 4 modules:
1. Create Database Objects | 24%
– ADD/DROP/Rename table’s Columns, [video]
– Computed Columns [video]:
– Views [link]
– Indexed Views (SCHEMABINDING, COUNT_BIG(*), CLUSTERED INDEX)
– Stored Procedures, [link].
– DML Triggers (INSERTED, UPDATED, UPDATE function) vs CHECK Constraint
– TRIGGER for VIEWS (INSTEAD OF)
– UDF (Functions), [link].
– SP vs UDF, [link].
2. Work with Data | 27%
– New Functions in SQL Server 2012 (IFF, TRY_PARSE, CONCAT, FORMAT), [link].
– FETCH-OFFSET, [link].
– SEQUENCE, [link].
– OVER() Window Function, [link]
– JOINS (INNER, OUTER LEFT, OUTER RIGHT, CROSS), [link].
– APPLY Operators (CROSS APPLY vs OUTER APPLY), [link].
– CTE and Sub-Queries, [link].
– PIVOT, [link].
– ROLLUP, CUBE & GROUPING SETS, [link].
– Dynamic SQL
– ANY, SOME, ALL
– CASE vs ISNULL vs COALESCE, [link].
– FOR XML RAW/AUTO/PATH [ELEMENTS], [link].
– Implementing XML Schemas and Handling of XML data
3. Modify Data | 24%
– Stored Procedure (with EXECUTE AS, RECOMPILE)
– MERGE Statement (TARGET, SOURCE, WHEN MATCHED, WHEN NOT MATCHED, OUTPUT), [link].
– EXCEPT vs INTERSECT
– UNION vs UNION ALL, [link].
– SCALAR vs TABLE Valued Functions.
– Use of APPLY with UDFs, [link].
– VARCHAR(MAX) and .WRITE(), [link].
4. Troubleshoot & Optimize | 25%
– Using Statistics
– SQL Internal JOINS (NESTED – Small, MERGE – Large Sorter, HASH – Large Unsorted), [link].
– TRANSACTIONS (BEGIN, COMMIT, ROLLBACK, XACT_ABORT, TRANCOUNT), [link].
– ISOLATION Levels (READ UNCOMMITTED, READ COMMITTED, REPEATABLE READ, SNAPSHOT, SERIALIZABLE)
– TRY/CATCH, [link].
– RAISE vs THROW [link]
– CURSORS (Row-Based) vs SET Based Approach
– Table Hints (UPDLOCK, ROWLOCK, TABLOCK, …etc)
– Query Hints (OPTION (OPTIMIZED FOR … [UNKNOWN]))
–> You can check following Study materials to prepare for this Exam:
Microsoft Link for this Certification: https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-461.aspx
Books on AMAZON.com:
– Training Kit (Exam 70-461): Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012
–> Download “SQL Server 2014 Express” (free) version to practice T-SQL Queries:
All The Best!!!
- DBA Stuff (29)
- Interview Q (8)
- Microsoft Azure (4)
- MS BI (6)
- Others (109)
- SQL Server Conferences (1)
- SQL Server Internals (76)
- SQL Server Questions (36)
- SQL Server Versions (113)
- T SQL (159)
- SQL Server 2016 RTM full and final version available - Download it now !!!
- Download & Install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) 2016 (decoupled from SQL Server engine setup)
- Passed 70-461 Exam : Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- SQL Basics - Difference between TRUNCATE, DELETE and DROP?
- DB Basics - What are Candidate, Primary, Composite & Super Keys and Difference between them?
- SQL Jokes!!!
- SQL Basics - Difference between WHERE, GROUP BY and HAVING clause
- DIRTY reads and PHANTOM reads - SQL Server
- Microsoft released SQL Server vNext (2018) - New features and enhancements in CTP 1.x
- What is SQL, PL/SQL, T-SQL and difference between them
Blog Stats, since Aug 2010
- 2,076,843 hits
StatCounter …since April 2012
- Scam – Become a kin/hier and earn a fortune – via LinkedIn and Email
- Places to visit in and around Vizag (aka Visakhapatnam)
- Bidar road trip from Hyderabad on bike with friends
- Process for closing Passport application file at Secunderabad RPO?
- Renewed my expired passport with address change (in Hyderabad)
This is my personal blog site.
The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer. For accuracy and official reference refer to MS Books On Line and/or MSDN/TechNet.
My employer do not endorse any tools, applications, books, or concepts mentioned on the blog. I have documented my personal experience on this blog.